June 21st is officially the first day of summer. Kids are out of the school, and it is time to hit the beach or the pool (or both).
Here are some tips to make sure you that you have a sun safe and skin healthy time outside this summer:
- Apply sunscreen before you leave the house
- Use at least SPF 30 but 40 or 50 are even better
- Apply a VERY generous amount of sunscreen to all exposed areas of your body. Don’t forget your ears, backs of your hands, and feet.
- Reapply sunscreen every two hours or right after swimming or excessive sweating
- Wear a hat and sunglasses
- Seek shade
- Drink lots of water
- Consider wearing clothes and bathing suits with UPF protection. But don’t rely solely on the clothes for sun protection, use sunscreen too.
- Do NOT burn!
Also – check out You Asked! Beach Bag Essentials from WebMD.
David Hockney painting image from http://rainfall8.wordpress.com/