Any mother with a newborn or a baby knows one thing for sure – your baby’s needs always come before yours. That’s just the way it is. Finding time for yourself, not to mention household chores, sometimes seems like the most impossible thing ever when you have a baby at home. Depending on how much sleep you are getting, probably very little, taking care of yourself quickly falls by the wayside once you have a baby. So I’m here to remind you that even when you have no energy or it seems to silly to invest in your appearance because so many other things require your immediate attention, that you should and can take five to ten minutes a day for yourself each day. Believe me I know how ridiculous that sounds when you’ve had four hours of sleep or when your baby decided to start their day at 5 am. It’s hard; it seems pointless, but consider giving it a try. Yes, if you had an elaborate skincare routine before you gave birth you probably can’t keep up with it now. Don’t beat yourself up about that. Keep in mind that when you feel good about how you look (even if you haven’t lost all the baby weight and that takes lots of time) your outlook changes about everything around you. So don’t neglect yourself after you’ve had a baby. Do take a few minutes each day to concentrate on your appearance; there is nothing selfish or wrong about that.
In no particular order here are some tips for a fast beauty routine when you have a baby at home:
- Remember to wash your face – at the very least at night. Once you’ve gotten your baby to sleep (or passed off childcare to your partner) take a moment to wash your face.
- Use sunscreen! Take a moment in the morning to apply sunscreen. In case you need a reminder about why sunscreen is so important take a look at this video. If your skin really needs a moisturizer use one with SPF in order to cut-down on skincare routine steps until you have more time for yourself.
- Find an under-eye concealer you like and use it.
- Use multitasking make-up products like Nars The Multiple which is for both lips and cheeks.
- Think about what beauty or make-up product always makes you feel good and use it. Is that product mascara? Or a facial mask once a week? Don’t give up those feel good products. The baby can cry for a moment while you apply your mascara and everything will still be fine with the world.
- Is there a beauty service that you really can’t live without? Well don’t! For a lot of women getting their eyebrows professionally waxed is just something they can’t give up and in my opinion shouldn’t. Eyebrow waxing when compared to other beauty services is one of the fastest and cheapest services out there. You can probably even bring your baby along to your eyebrow wax so keep up with having well groomed brows. Remember that having your eyebrows waxed or tweezed can change the look for your entire appearance for the better. For other people their weekly manicure is a must so I fully endorse finding the time to keep up with the beauty service that makes you feel like yourself again after giving birth. Keep in mind that there are many estheticians and nail techs that will come to your home to provide services so if you really can’t leave your baby or don’t want to have the service come to you.
I strongly believe that the better we feel about ourselves the better parents we can be. So even if it’s only a few minutes each day take that time for you. Even your baby will appreciate it.
- Check out a busy mom’s beauty routine
- Product recommendations for busy moms
- Allure teaches you how to look for wake (even when you’re definitely not)
Image from The Metropolitan Museum of Art: Midnight: Mother and Sleepy Child by Kitagawa Utamaro